Hernia Surgery Repair Manchester
A hernia is a ‘lump’ that pushes through a weakness in the muscle or surrounding tissue wall. It can usually be pushed back in gently, however if you place any strain on the abdomen area when you cough, sneeze, lift heavy objects or strain on the toilet, the ‘lump’ can appear again.
There are several types of hernias:
- Epigastric hernia (between the breast bone and navel)
- Femoral hernia (in the groin area, near the leg crease)
- Incisional hernia (in previous abdominal incision/scar)
- Inguinal hernia (lower abdomen/groin area)
- Umbilical hernia (belly button/navel)
- Sportsman hernia (severe groin pain)
Not all hernias need to be repaired but if treatment is required, the operation involves a mesh material used to repair the weak area in the muscle/surrounding tissue wall. This can also help reduce the risk of a hernia recurring. There are two main treatment options:
- Keyhole/laparoscopic repair
- Open repair
Mr Stylianides will discuss these in more detail and advise on the most appropriate treatment option for you.
You can book your hernial repair surgery in Manchester with Mr Stylianides and your procedure can be done at Spire Manchester hospital or BMI The Alexandra Hospital in Cheadle. For further information or any questions at all regarding your hernia, do not hesitate to contact us.