Haemorrhoids (or piles) are enlarged blood vessels, inside or around the bottom (anus and lower rectum).
How are they caused?
- Poor diet (lack of fibre intake)
- Constipation, therefore excessive straining on the toilet
- Being overweight/obese
- Regular lifting of heavy objects
- Persistent vomiting or cough
- Long periods of sitting down
- Age – as you get older, your body’s supporting tissues get weaker
- Pregnancy can increase pressure on pelvic blood vessels
- Family history
What are the symptoms?
- Redness, soreness and swelling around the back passage
- Itchy bottom
- Bleeding or discharge from the anus
- Lumps hanging down outside of the back passage
One treatment for haemorrhoids is Rafaelo, which is a safe and established minimally invasive procedure. It uses radio frequency ablation to eliminate any symptoms and reduce the size of the haemorrhoid.
What are the benefits of Rafaelo?
- Day-case procedure
- Minimal post-operative pain and care
- Immediate return to daily activities
- Can be used to treat all grades of internal haemorrhoids
- Good long-term results